Class: A practical course for beginners
Location: Gilmerton Walled Garden
Afternoons: 2pm to 4pm
Class Dates: Sundays 26th May to 30th June
Class size: 8
If you have booked the February course, please do not book this course.
INCLUDES 1 year free association membership (saving £5)
Bees are wild, unpredictable creatures, and it is hard to predict in advance which set of challenges the bees will present on a week-by-week basis.
As a result, the course will cover the following topics, but in no particular order:
• Types of beehives, hive components, making of frames, beekeeping equipment
• The colony; queen, workers, drones, their life cycle and functions
• Products of the hive: honey, wax, pollen and propolis
• Swarming; reasons, primes and casts, swarm collection and hiving
• Swarm Control; the 7 day inspection
• Swarm Management; horizontal and vertical splits, nukes
• Pests and Diseases
• Processing the crop
Terms and Conditions of booking
- If purchasing the course for someone else or for multiple attendees, please ensure they can commit to the dates in advance. We will require their contact details in order to be able to contact them about the course.
- Payment for any courses must be made in full at the time of booking.
- Bookings cancelled more than one month before the commencement of the course will receive a refund less a £10 admin fee.
- Less than one month, no refund will be payable. If the cancelled course can be resold, then a refund may be payable, less a £10 admin fee.