Class: A practical course for beginners
Location: Gilmerton Walled Garden
Afternoons: 2pm to 4pm
Class Dates: Sundays, 21st May to 25th June
Class size: 8
If you have booked to go on the course in February, you do not need to go on this course.
INCLUDES 1 year free association membership (saving £5)
Summary: The course is suitable for complete beginners and those who have recently acquired a colony but have yet to attend a course in beekeeping.
The general ethos of the course is to introduce the theory elements as an integral part of the practical sessions. Whenever possible, each weekly session will be held outside in the apiary.
Syllabus: Bees are wild, unpredictable creatures and it is hard to predict, in advance, which set of challenges the bees will present on a week by week basis.
As a result the course will cover the following topics, but in no particular order:-
• Types of beehive, hive components, making of frames, beekeeping equipment;
• The colony; queen, workers, drones, their life cycle and functions;
• Products of the hive; honey, wax, pollen and propolis;
• Swarming; reasons, primes and casts, swarm collection and hiving;
• Swarm Control; the 7 day inspection;
• Swarm Management; horizontal and vertical splits, nukes;
• Pests and Diseases;
• Processing the crop.
Terms & Conditions of booking
- If purchasing the course for someone else or for multiple attendees please ensure they can commit to the dates in advance. We will require their contact details in order to be able to contact them about the course.
- Payment for any courses must be made in full at the time of booking.
- Bookings cancelled more than one month before the commencement of the course will receive a refund less a £10 admin fee.
- Less than one month no refund will be payable. If the cancelled course can be resold then a refund may be payable, less a £10 admin fee.